Monday, January 28, 2013

The Trademarks of Barry Sonnenfeld

Actors
-Frequently works with Will Smith (MIB I–III, Wild Wild West), Tommy Lee Jones (aforementioned MIB), Rip Torn (MIB I&II) and Siobhan Fallon (MIB I, Big Trouble).
-Frequently makes a cameo in his films: The Addams Family (the passenger in the model train set), Addams Family Values (Mr. Glicker), Big Trouble (voiceover as the sports color commentator), MIB I (one of the faces on the screen of prominent people who are aliens), MIB II (the father of a family who's home is actually a hidden MIB weaponry), RV (Irv, the picture on Robin Williams' eponymous RV).

Collaborators
-As a director, frequently works with Steven Spielberg (Exec Prod. on MIB I–III), Bo Welch (Production designer on MIB I–III, Wild Wild West), Rick Baker (Makeup on MIB I—III and Wild Wild West)
-As a cinematographer, frequently worked with the Coen Brothers (Blood Simple, Raising Arizona, Miller's Crossing)

Writing/Subject Matter
-[Slapstick comedy] Nearly all of his films includes some form of slapstick comedy whether its more fantastical (Addams Family, Addams Family Values, MIB I–III, Wild Wild West) or earthbound (Get Shorty, Big Trouble, RV)
-[Gadgets] Hi-tech gadgets feature prominently Sonnenfeld's films, especially in the Men In Black films and Wild Wild West. One can argue that steampunk elements in the Addams Family films are just low-tech gadgets as well.

Cinematography
-All of his films have shots taken from below eye-level and have quick camera tracking-in movements for comic/dramatic effect (Will Smith's "I make this look good" moment in Men In Black is a particularly notable example)
-Fast motion shots (Addams Family I &II, MIB I)

Editing
-Cutting between shots with similar composition to create humor (Big Trouble)

Special Effects
-Frequently uses ILM for special effects (MIB I–III, Wild Wild West)

NOTE: This is a living document, so it may be updated in the future on a semi-regular basis.

No comments: